911 Vets

LA'S TOP MOBILE VETERINARY SERVICE

CALL NOW! 310-341-0216

The holidays are a festive time for us and pets. However, due to ongoing activities and constant distractions, we can easily overlook potential dangers to our four-legged family members. Take preventative measures to protect your pets this holiday season. Being aware of these top five dangers could save a trip for your mobile vet in Los Angeles.

  • Holiday Tinsel and Ornaments – Tinsel, while not toxic, is very attractive to pets, particularly cats. The shiny, dangling decoration reflects light and can move in the slightest draft. The problem with tinsel is that once it is consumed, it can cause serious injury to your pet. If not caught in time, this foreign body ingestion could actually be fatal as it twists and bunches inside your pet’s intestines. Immediate veterinary care is required.
  • Holiday Lighting and Candles – Twinkling, shiny and dangling holiday lights such as icicle netting, garland, curtains, rope and candles may be another source of danger to your curious pets. Got a pet that likes to chew? Electrical shock may occur when a pet bites down on an electrical cord, causing tongue lacerations and possible death. Check your holiday lights for signs of fraying or chewing and use a grounded three prong extension cord as a safety precaution. If you have candles on display, place them in a hard to reach spot so that your pets cannot get to them.
  • Gift Wrap Ribbon – You may be tempted to fashion your pet with a decorative ribbon collar but be aware that this could become a choking hazard. Also, quickly discard ribbons and bows wrapped around holiday gifts so that your curious companions won’t be enticed to chew or swallow them. Ingested ribbon can be a choking hazard and twist throughout the intestines and could lead to death.
  • Food Hazards – Festive events often mean edible treats, and lots of them. Unfortunately, some of the most popular holiday goodies, such as chocolate, bones and nuts, can be extremely toxic or fatal to pets
  • Different types of chocolate contain various levels of fat, caffeine and other substances. In general, the darker the chocolate and richer the chocolate, the higher the risk of toxicity.
  • Fat Trimmings and bones are dangerous for dogs. Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, may cause pancreatitis.
  • Certain nuts should not be given to pets because they can cause an upset stomach or an obstruction.
  • Toxic Holiday Plants – They may be very pretty, but some holiday plants are poisonous,   even deadly. As little as a single leaf from any lily variety is lethal to cats.

 

Taking precautions with pets during these festive times can help ensure that you and your family will enjoy a happy and healthy holiday season. Happy Holiday from 911 vets! Have a wonderful time with friends and family.

 

uxicached