It may seem obvious, but many of the food items you love can wreak havoc if ingested by your dogs. One of the most common calls we get is address a dog that has eaten something they shouldn’t have. Depending on the size of the dog, what was ingested, and how long it’s been, the results can range from an upset stomach to a near-death experience. Avoid the stress and heartbreak by keeping human food away from your pets. In this two-part installment, we will look at five foods that dogs should never, under any circumstance, eat. Here are the first two:

Chocolate
If you are like most people, chocolate is one of life’s greatest pleasures. It is delicious, versatile, and can turn even the most stubborn frown upside down. But for our furry little canine friends, it can be deadly. Even a small amount of chocolate can have serious consequences if it is ingested by your dog.

Onions
Onions are delicious, and if you cook at home very often chances are good that you will always have onions on hand. That is why it is very important to know that onions are extremely toxic for your dogs. Both raw and cooked, they will lead to red blood cell damage, lethargia, shortness of breath, and more.

If your dog has ingested chocolate or onions, time is of the essence. Our mobile vet in Los Angeles can come to you for the quickest possible treatment. Stay tuned for part two, where we will look at three more foods to keep away from your dogs.