An apple a day may not actually keep the doctor away, but what about an animal a day? in fact, when it comes to pet ownership, there are a number of proven health benefits for people, including physical, mental and emotional improvements, from enhancing social skills to decreasing a person’s risk of heart attack. Here are 5 reasons why opening your home to a furry friend is just what the mobile vet in Los Angeles ordered.
- Studies have shown that having a pet in the home can actually lower a child’s likelihood of developing allergies as much as 33 percent. In fact, research shows that children exposed early on to animals tend to develop stronger immune systems overall.
- One of the benefits of taking on the responsibility of pet ownership is that animals can be an instant icebreaker whether they are with you or you are just using them as a topic of conversation. People sometimes have a hard time getting to know each other, so pets can be a common denominator.
- Pet owners exhibit decreased blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels. All of which minimize the risk of a heart attack down the road. For those who have already experienced a heart attack, research also indicates that patients with a dog or a cat tend to have better recovery rates.
- Dogs can act as motivation in the exercise department. Most of them need to be walked several times a day. Dog owners responsible for walking their pups are less likely to be obese than dog owners who pass the duty off to someone else.
- Not only are pets known for unconditional love, but they may also give their owners a sense of purpose which can be crucial for those battling depression.
With so many reasons to bring a pet into your life the main reason is to give a pet a forever home!